Jun 08, 2023  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Requirements for Program Completion

Time Limit for Completing Degree Requirements

In order to receive a degree or certificate, candidates must meet all requirements within a period of six calendar years. The time limit begins the term in which the earliest enrolled course is credited to the degree program. Courses completed prior to admission to a degree or certificate program that are accepted toward the degree cannot be more than six years old at the time the degree is awarded. This requirement may be modified only in special circumstances. In some circumstances, when students are admitted to a program, they may be given less than six years to complete their course of study.

Procedures for extending the time limit are as follows: The student must initiate a written request through his/her department. The department must forward the request with a departmental recommendation for action to the Divisional Dean. The Divisional Dean may approve an extension of up to one year in length or deny the request. The student (or department) may appeal the Dean’s decision to the Provost.

Residence Requirements

Courses completed at other institutions are considered as non-resident courses and are so credited. A maximum of one half of the semester hours required for the program may be accepted in transfer. Note however, that most programs have more restrictive policies. Refer to individual program descriptions for transfer credit limitations.

If a student pays tuition and fees to SUNY Oneonta, the credit for the course is considered as residence credit, whether or not the course is taken on the campus. If tuition and fees are paid to another institution, the credit is considered as transfer credit. (See “Transfer Credits .”)

Master’s Degree Programs

The minimum number of semester hours for program completion, their distribution and any specific course requirements are designated in each graduate program. Students should note that some courses completed and/or hours recorded on their transcript may not fulfill degree requirements. Although specific requirements may differ, all master’s degree programs have a culminating experience which normally includes at least one of the following: passing a comprehensive examination; writing an approved thesis based on independent research; and/or successfully completing an appropriate special project.

Note: If a student fails the comprehensive exam or any portion thereof, the student may petition the division or department for permission to retake the examination or any portion thereof. Under no circumstance can the comprehensive examination or any portion thereof be taken more than twice. Students should consult with their individual departments for further information.

The maximum number of thesis credits students can earn varies with the degree program. However, students are limited to a total of 12 s.h. of credit in any combination of independent study and thesis.

Students must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all required degree work.

Certificate of Advanced Study

A minimum of 21 s.h. of post-master’s study is required for the School Counselor Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS). Additionally, the CAS requires an internship in an approved public school setting with supervision by a College approved supervisor. This internship may be waived for students who have completed at least two years of professional experience. Specified courses and other departmental requirements must be completed before a certificate of advanced study is awarded.

Students must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all required program work.


Graduate students are required to have a “B” average (3.0) in all courses used to fulfill degree requirements. There is no rounding up of grade point averages. Not all courses taken while in a graduate program apply to the graduation grade point average.

Examples of courses not used in the “graduation grade point average” are:

  • Any undergraduate courses, even if they are required for remediation
  • Graduate courses that apply to another graduate program
  • Graduate courses that are taken as an elective (over and above elective courses required within the program)
  • Graduate courses where the grade earned did not meet a specified course minimum grade requirement

The Graduation GPA may be different from the GPA reflected on the transcript because of the above examples.

Diploma Application Procedure

Students wishing to graduate must file a diploma application with the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of the term in which the student has registered to complete their remaining degree requirements (course work, comprehensive exam, thesis, etc.) Applications are available from the Registrar and require a $5 fee.

The deadline for filing applications listed in the Key Dates and Deadlines of the Registrar’s Office. Notice of clearance for graduation or, if needed, notice of remaining degree requirements, will be sent to the graduate student and the advisor. May or December graduates must have completed all master’s degree requirements on or before the end of the last day of the semester; for those who apply for graduation in August, requirements must be completed by the last day of Summer Session.

Note: Students cannot graduate with “incomplete” grades on their records.

Special Considerations for Education Majors Applying for Graduation

Graduates of education programs who are applying for teacher certification or school counselor certification must complete the on-line Teacher’s Certification Application which can be accessed at www.nysed.gov/tcert In order for the College to recommend program graduates for certification each student must complete and return the College’s Release Authorization for Teacher Certification Recommendation with their diploma application. This form is available on-line. Students applying for permanent/professional certification may be required to submit additional evidence of qualifications as defined by the State Education Department regulations. The College can recommend students for certification only in the area of the master’s degree and only at the time the degree is awarded.


Master’s degrees and Certificates of Advanced Study are awarded at the end of each term. May degree recipients, and degree recipients from the previous August and December may participate and be hooded during the annual (May) Commencement ceremony. (Note: While the College policy permits undergraduates who have not completed all degree requirements to take part in Commencement, only graduate degree recipients may participate in Commencement, as that ceremony includes hooding.) December candidates may participate in the December recognition ceremony. Candidates should be those who plan to complete all degree work in December. To participate in either the May Commencement or the December recognition ceremony, a candidate must:

  • Meet the College’s eligibility criteria for participation in either Commencement or the December recognition ceremony;
  • Apply for graduation by the announced deadline;
  • Dress in academic regalia appropriate for the ceremony.

SUNY Oneonta Annual Institution Report

Information on New York State certification exams may be found at fast facts.